Sunday, September 27, 2009

First day at Layla House


Friday
Gail, The Layla coordinator, came over Friday morning about 9:30am to take us to where the boys were. She is so busy but takes the time to make you feel comfortable. Layla house is in walking distance but is a little intimidating with all the people just hanging out everywhere. Obviously we were the new people in town. Haha. When we arrived at layla my heart was pounding with excitement. It is busy but well organized. The little people in one area, the primary grades in another and the middle and high school in another. As we walked in the children were looking to see the new big people. I only wonder what was in there minds. Gail introduced us to the loving and bright smiling workers. Just watching for just a few moment they have a strong loving demeanor with all the children. Definitely all of them a gift from God. No Doubt! We headed over to another room and there Solomon! No doubt it was him. He was busy playing. He reminded me of seeing Brian at 3. He is a soft acting child. Bright and coordinated. Kind to others but standing his ground. Talked not yelling like many. Then those BIG eyes looked over at us. Not having a clue yet who we were he just smiled and kept playing. We watched for a short time and then moved on to see Brahanu. Entering into the next room were the little people. There was much going on but in a little people way. Potty training, some held and some sitting up. Others resting. When they all saw us the personalities kicked in. Hold me, pick me up. Let’s play, and leave me a lone. The workers was safe for them. We took it slow except with the one that were love bugs wanting to be picked up. Some like Katie and some definitely like men and came to me. It wasn’t long and we had our arms full of babies/ toddlers. Katie saw Brahanu first and went straight to him. The worker holding him handed him over. There was about 30 seconds of fussing and Katie had won him over. That was it for Katie. She need nothing else. She had her brother in her arms and she wasn’t letting go. My tears of joy were being held inside but you could just see the moment Katie had been waiting for was here. Her bond had been completed and his new beginning. I left her knowing that is where she wanted to be. I wanted to work on winning Solomon over. I went back to where Solomon was and just start hanging out. The workers were good about introducing him to me and me to him. It wasn’t long we worked through the first stage of uncomfortable feelings when the workers started blowing up balloons and not tying them so the kids could let them go and watch them fly. Such simple toys and simple fun for all. The exciting laughter spread quickly throughout everyone. Afterwards They were explaining who I was and you could see him processing it all. The wall started coming back. I can only imagine his fears. The workers kept encouraging us to play together. The rest of the kids wanted a piece of me so I played with them all. That seemed to take some of the pressure off. Two little girls were definitely loving the male attention. It all was so interesting to be a part of Little people reaching for lov. Don’t we all do that? Finally Solomon wanted one on one with me. We had fun with various boy toys. You know, bikes, balls, and running. I could tell all of the workers really enjoy him and he was very connected to them. They are there safe people for Solomon. Also he and I walked out to where the American volunteers and high school girls were.. Everyone wanted a piece of him. They all are very affectionate to the children. Hugging, kissing snuggling. Everyone calling out his name. maybe because I was there. I don’t know. There was some college kids from Washington doing a summer program there. I talked to them to find out more on Solomon. The girls said he is such a loving good boy. I could feel there sincerity. All in all I feel we had a successful first day. Thank God for all the blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment